Welcome Anonymous

Board index The Line-Up Board Mod Bless America

Mod Bless America

Southern Sportmods ride heights

This is the place to “swap” stories, post results or announce event info about the largest class of racing machines on dirt.
Presented by RacinDirt.com

Southern Sportmods ride heights

Postby Ssm31 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:29 pm

I have question concerning ride heights. I am new to modifieds, I have raced stock cars before and everything I have seen on a basic setup says to set them @ 6in. If I set it on the rear this will only leave about 1 from top of the rear end tube to the bottom of the frame? Where are these measurements being taken? And is this an realistic set up. I am running a 225lb spring on the left and 175 on right.
Ssm31

Re: Southern Sportmods ride heights

Postby MXRacer 7s Dad » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:57 pm

For most Southern Sport Mods, Measure from the top of the of the rear end housing to the bottom of frame, 11" on right side and about 1/4 " less on left. The springs you have are a good starting point. Hope this helps
Eddie, Dad of #7 IMCA Southern Sport Mod
2008 Abilene Speedway IMCA Hobby Stock Champion
2004 & 2005 Abilene Speedway Jr Mini Champion
Wide open Till You See GOD Then Brake
http://www.stephenrobisonracing.com
MXRacer 7s Dad
Rookie Driver

Postby sportmod224 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Those ride heights are for the full blown modifieds. Sportmods are a little different. If you are measuring at the bottom of the frame they need to be around 71/2 to 81/2 in the front with around 1 inch of rake higher in the rear. Everybody has their preferences but this will get you in the ball park. Mine are set at 71/2 lf and 8 on the rf. I run one inch of rake. Get with the chassis builder and see what they recomend for starting points. You want the left front lower control arm just about level and the right front going down about 2 degrees. Im no expert but this is what I was told buy a very reliable source. Any more questions just ask.
sportmod224

Postby Ssm31 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Ok thanks, just to make sure I understand you are saying if I measure from the top of the rear end tube to the bottom of the frame, I need to set it at 11" on the rear and 10 3/4 on the left. Also how do you check the front ride height?
Ssm31

Postby Ssm31 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Well I'm not sure who built it. It's a bastard car. Very well built just don't know who. It' s possibly an old SIMS car. I have made several changes to get it up too the times. The only identifying marks are on the LH side is welded S-P. 01? Thanks for all the help, these measurements are achievable it is already at 7 1/2 on the right side.
Ssm31

Postby sportmodsnet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Sportmod ride heights are set starting with the front first. Lower control arms should be close to level. This means bottom of ball joint level with inner control arm bolt. We check ride heights from bottom of frame down to level ground. Depending on how car is built and how weight is distributed on how much rake to use. On most of our cars I like around 1" higher in the rear. Always be sure to have the car full of fuel and tire pressure set before checking ride heights. When setting them you will probably be making several adjustments on spring buckets before you get it right, so I suggest removing shocks. Also remember that making any adjustment on spring buckets always affects the opposite corners. Good Luck!
http://www.sportmods.net "Southern Sportmod Dirt Racing"
sportmodsnet

Return to Mod Bless America

• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 1 minute)
  • Most users ever online was 173 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am