Welcome Anonymous

Board index The Line-Up Board Mod Bless America

Mod Bless America

Thunderbird Speedway

This is the place to “swap” stories, post results or announce event info about the largest class of racing machines on dirt.
Presented by RacinDirt.com

Thunderbird Speedway

Postby Davis Racing » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Me and Kristi went by the track tuesday to see the ol track

so much water
the last sunset at the track
Donnie Gosnell Crew Chief of Chris Davis #98
7 Time Champions
2002,2007,2008,2009 & 2013 Champions
Davis Racing
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Thunderbird Speedway

Postby cowboy70m » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 am

Thats sad i wonder how many features TDJ and Sigman has won there ,,
MCKINLEYFARMS RACING HOME OF 2001 TEAM PENNING WORLD CHAMPION ,
Tommy Davis Jr 2010 & 11 & 12& 13 RPM speedway limited
Championship owner ,Shelly Tommy ,
Sponsors Chase Me Racing Engines, Mckinleyfarms ,
Dallas County Cowboy Church, ,
Smileys Racing Products
Honeycut Sand Gravel ,
Wicked Race Car's
2010 & 12 & Octoberfast limited winner
2012 Superbowl Champ TDJ
Crew Cheif Joseph , WE SALE FARM TRACTOR"S (50 features 2012)
cowboy70m
Seasoned Veteran

Postby nobodyracing01 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:16 am

no-one cared anyways if someone wanted they could have saved THE BIRD. 50 yrs more than enough to grandfather it there.....but what can we do now ......... besides wait for donnies book, and hows that coming donnie?
Paul Pacheco
#01 Southern Modified
#01 Bomber
NOBODY RACING
nobodyracing01
Crew Chief

Postby sprintcar93 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:54 am

I was only there but a hand full of times but I have some great memories there. When we stopped by RPM the other day we went out of our way to drive by Thunderbird. Back in the mid 80's my nephew and I came up from Abilene to watch a sprint race on a Friday night. Not far in to the night a tornado came across the field. We went back to our tent at Lake Ray Hubbard and not only had the lake washed out our tent and belongings, a tree limb had fallen right on the tent. We slept in my Datsun B210 Hatchback and the next morning I woke up to my nephew cussing because the oreo's were all wet. lmao

Thunderbird is also where I met the one and only..... DualCore!
sprintcar93
Elbows Up Hall-of-Famer

Postby David Smith Jr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 pm

I know that the new promoters at Thunderbird Speedway in Muskogee went down and bought the "Thunderbird Speedway" sign and alot of other items from the track. This will be placed at the historic Muskogee Fairgrounds where remodeling and fixing up is happening for the track to be back in action on Friday nights for the 2010 race season.

The closer of your historic "Thunderbird Speedway" in Texas with items being moved to the remodling of the historic "Thunderbird Speedway" in Muskogee. Kind of a strange twist. Just as the fact that a 55 year old facility of Fairgrounds Speedway in Oklahoma City is closed and will be torn down while the another historic fairgrounds facility is being reopened.
David Smith Jr/www.oklahomatidbits.com/NCRA PR
David Smith Jr
Seasoned Veteran

Postby girlracer88 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 pm

it still saddens me to think about it being closed as were getting closer to racing season i still dont know what the hell ima do on saturdays, i guess either the bowl or greenville. i grew up at the bird from time i was 6 weeks old watching my dad to my brothers and then myself race there, thats all iv known for the last 21 years
girlracer88
Rookie Driver

Postby elbowsup19 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 pm

I posted on the Grand Prairie Speedway web site not to long ago my thoughts of losing Thunderbird Speedway!! I will share my thoughts now about that with yall if you would allow me to do so!! I have gave this a considerable amount of thought and have come to these conclusions. I truly dont believe we as a whole will miss the track itself!! What we will miss are the relationships and friendships that we have built and shared for so many years each and every Saturday night! I cant speak for others but I for one will sure have a vacancy in my life now that the track is gone!! In reality we really cant talk about what a fine facility it was because over the last 5 years I cant think of 1 single improvement to the facility but I can sure tell you how many people I will miss and have no idea when I may get a chance to talk with them again!!! The closing of a track will have so many main stays going different directions and thats what bothers me the most!! Example I for 1 have been lucky enough to race with my Dad and two brothers each and every week on a regular basis and for that I will always be thankful!! Ive watched my children win races there and for that it will always hold a special place in my heart! Now in closing I am the New Promoter of Grand Prairie Speedway and with me racing at Thunderbird Speedway for so many years I would think that I am bringing some of that tradition and family atmosphere to Grand Prairie and I realize GP is not Thunderbird but I bet we can get close! 50 Years of racing! They must have been doing something right.Guys and gals as I said earlier Im not sure its the track we will miss but the friendships and memories we make along the way!! I will strive to make GP Speedway just as fun and enjoyable for those that attend as I was lucky enough to experience at THE BIRD!!!

Thank You
Bubba Davis
Bubba Davis
elbowsup19
Provisional Starter

Postby RICKYSNIDER » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:34 pm

elbowsup19 wrote:I posted on the Grand Prairie Speedway web site not to long ago my thoughts of losing Thunderbird Speedway!! I will share my thoughts now about that with yall if you would allow me to do so!! I have gave this a considerable amount of thought and have come to these conclusions. I truly dont believe we as a whole will miss the track itself!! What we will miss are the relationships and friendships that we have built and shared for so many years each and every Saturday night! I cant speak for others but I for one will sure have a vacancy in my life now that the track is gone!! In reality we really cant talk about what a fine facility it was because over the last 5 years I cant think of 1 single improvement to the facility but I can sure tell you how many people I will miss and have no idea when I may get a chance to talk with them again!!! The closing of a track will have so many main stays going different directions and thats what bothers me the most!! Example I for 1 have been lucky enough to race with my Dad and two brothers each and every week on a regular basis and for that I will always be thankful!! Ive watched my children win races there and for that it will always hold a special place in my heart! Now in closing I am the New Promoter of Grand Prairie Speedway and with me racing at Thunderbird Speedway for so many years I would think that I am bringing some of that tradition and family atmosphere to Grand Prairie and I realize GP is not Thunderbird but I bet we can get close! 50 Years of racing! They must have been doing something right.Guys and gals as I said earlier Im not sure its the track we will miss but the friendships and memories we make along the way!! I will strive to make GP Speedway just as fun and enjoyable for those that attend as I was lucky enough to experience at THE BIRD!!!

Thank You
Bubba Davis

Well said!!!!
RICKYSNIDER
Seasoned Veteran

Postby TongueTiedTowboy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:15 am

I wonder how many of the local folks that went to T-Bird never went to another track? They may not have been dirt track fans but T-Bird gave them their Sat. night entertainment.

T-Bird was usually the only one that was able to run after a rain in the metro plex. Kind of like Cowtown is today. Other than big races, rain outs were the only times that I got over to the bird. I remember the announcer saying that it doesn't rain on a Sat. night in Crandall Texas. I was there one night when a car hit a pole in town that had a transformer on it that had the juice for the bird. They finaly had to call the races but before they did some of the drivers took the seal beam out of their tow vehicle and wired it on their modified and went around the track. Weird looking sight.
Always drink upstream from the herd!!

Triple T
TongueTiedTowboy
Seasoned Veteran

Postby Grievous Angel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:41 am

[quote="TongueTiedTowboy"]I wonder how many of the local folks that went to T-Bird never went to another track? They may not have been dirt track fans but T-Bird gave them their Sat. night entertainment.

I bet T-Bird did have fans that never went to other tracks. They had some real loyal fans, thats for sure. I guess I will be at Cowtown on most Saturdays now, myself. I think that GPS will have a bit of a T-Bird influence with Bubba running the show over there now. I looking forward to Fridays over there, for the first time since I quit racing myself, back in 06.
Grievous Angel
Seasoned Veteran

Next

Return to Mod Bless America

Main Menu

Login